„Spektar“ folklore orchestra – Varna, Bulgaria
art director – Nikolay Doktorov
„Spektar“ orchestra exists in its present form, since 1989. It performs Bulgarian folklore music, adhering to its classical variant. The instruments used are mostly old, folk-style instruments, such as kaval, bag-pipe, mandoline, kettle-drum as well as some contemporary ones – accordion, guitar, keyboard and bass guitar.
“Spektar” performs instrumental folklore from all folklore areas of Bulgaria, incl. Thrace, Strandja, Rhodopes, Macedonia, Northern, Shopska, Varna etc. In addition to the purely instrumental folklore, the orchestra also accompanies singers. Performers’ age ranges from 9 to 75 years and all appear at the stage wearing authentic national folklore costumes.
„Spektar“ gives performances at various national folklore gatherings and competitions, such as :
- “Koprivshtitza national folk art festival”
- National folklore gathering, Veliko Tarnovo
- “Leaf fall of memories” national festival, Varna
- “Joy by the sea” – national festival, Bourgas
- Series of national festivals held by the “Blind people’s union”
- Series of festivals held by the “Blind people’s community center – Louis Braille”
- “Orpheus spring” national festival, Stara Zagora
- People’s gatherings at Suvorovo, Golitza, Voyvodino etc,
where it is recognized as a laureate and rewarded various prizes. „Spektar“ often takes part in numerous concerts in Sofia, Dryanovo, Shoumen, Smolyan, Shiroka Laka, Bourgas, Varna, Silistra, Obzor as well as some gatherings in the Republic of Macedonia.
„Spektar“ has already released two albums, two TV films and has participated in several radio and TV broadcasts, while enjoying good popularity.
There is an atmosphere of friendship and mutual support at „Spektar“, in which everybody can give way to their talent and creativity. Thus, the fact that more than a half of the performers are visually impaired does not represent an obstacle to realization and stage performance.